The way our body is affected by external factors is different, as the body type differs from person to person. Considering the importance of health in kids, it’s crucial to have a significant level of immunity within them.
Ayurveda is completely dependent on the life cycle, seasonal changes, and body type. Children can improve their health through Ayurveda as it is completely natural and improves immunity from the roots. It does not affect the growth and development of the body and rejuvenates the body to develop better, grow, and heal. Learn more about parenting: an ayurvedic approach
Improving your kids’ immunity
Childhood is a wonderful phase of life. It is the base that greatly affects how we live life later on. When a child has optimum health and a good immunity system, he/she can enjoy adventures of life and avoid many health-related roadblocks in life. The stronger the immunity system, the lesser chances of getting sick.
Unique ayurvedic formulation for every individual
Ayurveda suggests that our body differs based on three doshas; Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. The first step towards incorporating ayurvedic practices is to determine the dosha which is dominant in your child’s body. Daily habits and diet are then framed based on the dominant dosha. This will not only help to eliminate possible infections but also improves mood and mental health. Ayurveda rejuvenates and improves both the physical and mental health of the person.
Vata is most dominant in those who are lean and have an uncertain appetite. Vata-dominant kids are generally sharp, witty, and creative. They have a complexion anywhere between light and duskier tones. They can easily catch cold and the texture of their skin is generally dry. If the kids have an excess of Vata in their body, they are most likely to suffer from restlessness, anxiety, insomnia, and constipation.
Pitta-dominant kids have a good diet and maintained physique. They have an extroverted personality, intelligent and innovative. They get hungry too soon and can’t tolerate it for long. They have finer hair and good eyesight. Excess of pitta can make the kid short-tempered and cause inflammation, irritated skin, and excess sweat.
Kids with Kapha-dominant people are known for their endurance and strength. They have a moderate appetite. They have oily skin that tends to break out easily and thicker hair. They are quite mature and compassionate. Excess of Kapha can lead to slow digestion, lethargy, and depression.
Identifying the dosha
According to Ayurveda, our body is made of five elements; Earth, fire, water, air, and ether. The difference in the constitution of these elements is what makes us unique. The elements are grouped and divided into three broad categories; Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
When these elements are out-of-balance in the body, it can lead to certain diseases that can affect the person mentally and physically. By learning about the body type of the child, you will be able to understand what action or remedy you need to take to reawaken and rejuvenate the child’s overall health.
How to maintain balance in doshas
Excess/ Deficit of Vata:
- Make sure that your Vata child has enough healthy fats and a wholesome meal, rich in varieties of vegetables, rice, and cinnamon.
- A healthy touch of mom and dad will help them stay grounded
- Use warm and sweet aromas like orange and vanilla proves to be effective
- You can have soft earthy tones and pastel colors are recommended to make Vata dominant kids feel more comfortable and help them to relax
- Play soft and soothing music to them
- As far as routine is concerned, make sure that they are mostly in a calm and soothing environment, with a schedule of daily activities being consistent and try to maintain it.
- A reliable routine with a predictable routine can help balance vitta element
- Putting a lot of gentle reassurances are required to keep them cheerful
Excess/ deficit Pitta:
- Opt for mild flavors and try avoiding spicy or hot foods. Cool foods like cucumber and apples can help tame down excess Pitta.
- Calming aromas like lavender, which relaxes and calms down the stress is best suited to balance Pitta dominated children.
- Coconut oil massage helps the children to calm down their fieriness
- Soothing colors like blue, green, and pastel colors are best for Pittas. They also need an airy and bright space.
- Give pitta children some time alone in their schedule. Giving them enough space will help to introspect and develop thinking. Meditation is a wonderful tool to calm a Pitta-mind, especially when your kid gets angry too soon. Avoid activities that can trigger distress.
Excess/ Deficit of Kapha
- Avoid packaged food products that are processed and canned. Bitter and pungent foods like ginger and garlic can help balanced excess Kapha in the body.
- Dry massage can help stimulate blood flow and make the kid active. Use warming aromas that tend to bring in warmth in the body.
- Bright, stimulating colors are best suggested for Kapha-dominated kids. Space is required to be clean and tidy.
- Kapha dominated kids are generally more lazy and slow. Motivate them to stay active and involve them more into active sports, mentally and physically.
Disease prevention and rejuvenation through Ayurveda
Ayurvedic’s approach is to make sure that the existing disease symptoms are uprooted and future infections and diseases can be avoided. Natural medication and Ayurvedic lifestyle can keep your child on track to excellent health and well-being.
One of the issues with Ayurveda is that its impact is not immediate. However, if you start making your kids accustomed to an ayurvedic lifestyle based on the nature of their body, it will have a lasting effect on your child’s health in the longer run.
Ayurveda helps your body stay in tune with the changing seasons, and lunar cycles, helping you live in sync with the natural rhythm of nature.
There are a whole lot of holistic ayurvedic formulations that cleanse and nourishes the dosha balance in the body. This process will help you develop immunity and protect the body from possible infection.
You might also like to know: Guide to modern parenting
Improving the diet for immunity and vitality
Setting a proper routine and understanding the constitution of the body is significant before you even start implementing ayurvedic remedies. Ayurveda is not restricted to only food, but also extends to lifestyle and way of living. Ayurveda impacts an individual mentally, physically, and spiritually. Some basic changes that you can have in your kids’ routine.
Kids usually tend to sleep more than adults because it helps to have a healthy transition from childhood to puberty. Ensure that kids get enough sleep but also track their sleeping patterns consistently. The sleeping hours need to be consistent and regular. Irregular sleeping patterns can make your kid lethargic and lazy, depriving them of energy, while hindering their overall health.
Children tend to eat anything as long as it matches their choice of food. Every child has a different digestive system and constitution, although most of them adopt a three-course meal throughout the day.
It is suggested to have at least a three-hour gap between every meal or snack as it allows proper digestion, allowing your body to process food easily.
The digestive system plays a vital role in the maintenance of overall health. The gut health influences the physical, mental, and emotional health of your kid. It is essential to understand that every food that you intake, the digestive fire in your stomach breaks the food down into energy and helps your body to function and grow.
The immunity of your kid is directly related to their gut health. If you find your child falling sick more frequently, that means there are some issues in the gut health of the child. This usually happens when there is a problem in –
- Digestive fire
- Food intake
- Toxins in the gut
If your child has a poor diet, it triggers and builds up the toxins in the gut called ama. Excess of ama can lead to weaker immunity, poor immunity, and so on.
Basic dietary tips
- Choose fresh fruits over packed and processed food.
- Warm meals complement the digestive fires, easing the digestion process.
- Regular meals make sure that you have a balanced and proper diet to support your system.
- Home-cooked meals over outside food
Ayurveda is a great way to revitalize and strengthen the immune system for your kids. Some of the nutritional deficiencies can affect the immune system. Ayurveda not only covers the diet but also the lifestyle. Ayurveda not only cures ailments but always helps the kid’s to build a strong preventive system to fight future possible infections and diseases.