The new National Education Policy 2020 has been well identified and appreciated by our countrymen. It aims at providing a flexible and multi-disciplinary education system that forms a significant foundation for the future of education in India.
The elements in the NEP 2020 should take into account the local and global needs of the country, keeping into consideration the rich diversity and culture of the country. The main purpose and aim are to incorporate the knowledge that serves the social, cultural, and technological skills requirements of the country.
The fundamental principles that guide the education system and institutions are-
- The fundamental principle is to recognize, identify and foster the unique capabilities, interests, and talent while also promoting holistic development and letting them stay grounded on the roots
- Strengthening the foundation of literacy and numerology by Grade 3 and laying down a strong foundation.
- Incorporating flexibility and ensuring that the student has the choice to select and learn in the fields that serves their interest or combination of it, making them ready to face the practical world in their own ways and create life in their own terms
- There is no broad line between the streams of arts and sciences, between practical and theoretical studies or curricular or extracurricular activities, diminishing the significance of one over the other.
- Holistic knowledge and education ensure that the student is trained in different fields ensuring that there is unique and practicality in education. A multidisciplinary approach is implemented over different fields of study to instill a unique approach and opportunity for the student.
- The curriculum is curated to serve conceptual learning rather than blindly rote learning the facts mentioned.
- Creative learning and critical thinking ensure that the students not only know the facts associated with the subject but also understand the applicability of the subject and make decisions in a real-life situation over the subject.
- Learning different languages, especially the local and mother tongue. It is one of the significant changes in the education policy as the students are made to learn the subjects in the local language so that they can learn to write, talk and document the theories on the local languages as well.
- A unique model of assessment to make sure that the student is assessed on the basis of their learning and understanding of the subject rather than summative assessment.
- Incorporating technology in the teaching and the learning so that the teachers and students are able to effectively learn and train and have overall control and management.
- Teachers and the faculty are also inclusive of the learning process with regards to their recruitment and continuous development, creating a positive environment for the teachers and better working conditions with flexibility.
- The new education policy model strives to bring in more flexibility and transparency with resource efficiency the system in which the education is delivered while encouraging innovation and out of the box creativity.
There are some significant features and purposes that can be understood and interpreted from the plan and policies laid out, which is in sync with the initiatives drawn by the government for education.
Read Here: 7 Key Elements of a Montessori School
From some of the significant highlights of the new national educational policy 2020, it is evident that the objective of NEP 2020 is to train the citizens to create and implement solutions to their own problems, also contributing to the past initiatives launched by the government including Atma-Nirbhar India.
The common goal of the government is to take up entrepreneurship over employment since 2014. Also, the current COVID-19 pandemic has proved the necessity to develop the self-reliance of the society and to redirect the focus over-improving skills that help professionals find employment.
Making society more sustainable and conscious
The NEP 2020 strives to develop a deep sense of responsibility towards society and constitutional values. It strives to develop plans that help achieve the UN’s sustainable development goals which look forward to creating a socially conscious society.
A holistic approach to education aims to provide a positive outlook towards education that doesn’t restrict to just formal education but also, instills a sense of belongingness, values, and mutual respect for cultures and nature.
Read Here: Age-appropriate chores- for young children
To strengthen the economy through education
The new National Education Policy aims to design the educational system in such a way that it improves knowledge in terms of cultural heritage and skill development, rather than rigid education subjects.
Higher education is the primary foundation that pools in talented youth that work towards contributing to the GDP of the country. By improving their skills and potential, the government can work towards improving the GDP, by creating more and more unique and varied job opportunities for the youth. It will also help to strengthen business connections with other countries as well as other supportive industries.
A shift to digitalized education
The global coronavirus pandemic and the immersion of digitalization has led to the government implementing digitalization in education. NEP 2020 holds to launch digital libraries, content, and classrooms that enable the students to learn irrespective of their geographical location.
The NEP 2020 notifies to create a dedicated department to plan and implement the digital infrastructure in schools and colleges so that they are able to fulfill the e-educational requirements of these institutions.
NEP 2020 further offers to launch the National Education Technology Forum (NETF), which is an anonymous regulatory body that facilitates the implementation or deployment of technology for education in India.
The teachers are also well equipped with the technology so that they can deliver their teachings through various modes and techniques. It also becomes important to train and help them develop skills for using a digital platform for teaching. They need to understand in effective utilization of tools and strategies to help transfer the knowledge.
The vision of this policy is to deeply instill pride as in Indians and make them conscious of one’s duty as citizens and deeds. The vision envisages developing knowledge, skills, and value, responsibly committing to human rights and sustainable living, thereby making them a truly global citizen.
NEP 2020- Is this a new turn in education? New Education Policy video
FAQ – National Education Policy 2020 Highlights & Key Proposals
What is the benefit of New Education Policy 2020?
The recently released New Education Policy 2020 is a welcome change for the education system in India. It focuses on holistic education and the all-round development of every child. The three main goals of the policy are Access, Equity and Quality.
The policy aims to increase access to education for all, especially for marginalized groups such as children with disabilities, migrant children and girls from rural areas. It also looks at reducing the disparities in educational opportunities and outcomes across different social groups. The policy stresses on the need for quality education and lays down several measures to improve the quality of teaching and learning in schools.
What are the benefits of New Education Policy 2022?
New Education Policy is a policy implemented by the government of India in 2020. It aims to provide quality and affordable education to all children in India. The main benefits of this policy are:
-It will increase the Gross Enrolment Ratio in higher education by 2035.
-It will provide free and compulsory education to all children aged 6-14 years.
-It will establish 3,500 model schools at the district level by 2022.
-It will create a National Mission for New Teachers to attract and train the best teachers.
-It will establish a National Testing Agency for conducting all academic examinations.
What is the importance of new education policy?
There are a few key reasons why new education policy is important. First and foremost, it helps to level the playing field for all students. It also allows for more creativity and critical thinking in the classroom. Additionally, it can help to close the achievement gap between different groups of students. Finally, it can help to prepare students for the increasingly globalized world. All of these reasons underscore the importance of new education policy.